Friday, April 2, 2010

Small Package

Street scene: They bump into each other on Broadway. Eyes meet. Pleasantries are exchanged. They fall in love almost instantly.
.....“I’ve waited my whole life for a girl like you,” the man says.
.....“I fell in love with you the minute I saw your blues eyes staring down at me,” she says.
.....“It’s just like some kind of fairy tale,” he replies.
.....“Like Cinderella and Prince Charming.”
.....“…or Brad and Angelina.”
.....“You don’t mind that I’m a little person?” she asks.
.....“Not at all,” he answers, holding her tiny hand in his. “I’ve always favored petite women.”
.....“Some men are turned off by my size,” she says with obvious embarrassment.
.....“That’s nonsense,” he says. “Wonderful things come in small packages.”
.....“I’m glad you feel that way,” she says.
.....“Listen,” he says with some hesitation, not wanting to appear too aggressive. ”I know this fabulous little bistro on 12th street. Would you consider having lunch there with me?”
.....“But we’re on 48th street,” she replies with alarm. “It’s such a long walk, and I have such small legs.”
.....“That’s no problem at all,” he says confidently. “Allow me…” Then he picks her up and puts her snugly in his shirt pocket.
.....“Comfy?” he asks.
.....“Extremely,” she replies, admiring his angular chin from her seat inside his pocket. “I just hope I’m not too heavy for you.”
.....“Heavy?” he says. “Why my cellphone is heavier than you are.”
.....“You’re so funny,” she giggles coyly. “What did I ever do to deserve a man like you?”
.....“No, I’m the lucky one,” he insists. “I’ve always wanted a pocket-sized girlfriend.”
.....“I also fit in glove compartments and handbags,” she adds with evident pride.
.....“This is going to be the perfect relationship,” he says as they stroll down Broadway. “Just think of how much I’m going to save on the price of movie admissions.”

2 comments: