Saturday, February 6, 2010

My Twenty Favorite Dylan Songs

As anyone who knows me realizes, I have become a huge Bob Dylan fan over the past three years. Basically, all I listen to at home, in the car, and while I am working outdoors is Dylan music. Now if that seems a bit dull to you, keep in mind that Dylan has over 45 years worth of music and his style has changed numerous times over the years. There’s no way I’m going to get bored with his music, because there’s just so damned much of it, and it’s all so fabulous.

Like any Dylan fan, however, I do have my favorite songs. This definitely doesn’t mean that they’re his best songs, just the ones that resonate with me at this particular point in my life.

Here they are in order of preference:

bobDylan_main_image[1]

#1. It Takes a Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry (Highway 61 Revisited, 1965) – a fabulous song with great piano work and terrific lyrics. I could listen to this all day long.

#2. Girl From the North Country (with Johnny Cash) (Nashville Skyline, 1969) – This just may be a perfect song. The fact that in this version Dylan and Cash keep messing up just makes it all the more wonderful and spontaneous.

#3. Boots of Spanish Leather (Times They Are A-Changin’, 1964) – Another perfect song. I don’t usually go for love songs, but this one is so damned complex that it’s totally intriguing.

#4. Subterranean Homesick Blues (Bringing It All Back Home, 1965) – The perfect 60s rock song. Too bad no radio stations never played it when I was growing up.

#5 Like A Rolling Stone (Highway 61 Revisited, 1965) – Considered by many to be the greatest rock song of all time. And it probably is.

#6. Baby Let Me Follow You Down (Biograph, 1985) – This early Dylan song didn’t even make it onto one of his albums. Just goes to show you that even a knock-off Dylan is better than most current singers’ top ten trash.

#7. Things Have Changed (Wonder Boy’s Soundtrack, 1999) – I’ve just discovered this weird, evocative song and it blows my mind. Won an Academy Award in 1999.

#8 I Want You (Blond on Blond, 1966) – Sure this is a silly pop song, but it was probably the basis for every Dylan caricature for the next twenty years. “I want youuuu soooo baddddd”…you’ve gotta love singing this blatantly affected!

#9 Someday Baby (Bootleg Series, Vol. 8, 2008) – I prefer this version to the one Dylan used on “Modern Times.” This was the song that single-handedly forced me to reevaluate my unfounded bias against Dylan’s later music.

#10. Mama, You’ve Been on My Mind (with Joan Baez) (Bob Dylan Live, 1964) – I love Joan Baez and I love Bob Dylan…and I especially love it when they sing a great Dylan song together live and screw it up.

#11. Beyond Here Lies Nothing (Together Through Life, 2009) – This song proved that Dylan is still a musical powerhouse even in his sixties. A gritty, evocative little song.

#12. My Back Pages (Another Side of Bob Dylan, 1964) - “I was older then, I’m younger than that now.” What other artist would dare insinuate that his entire fan base is a bunch of twits at the very moment of his greatest popularity?

#13. Don’t Think Twice, It’s Alright (The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan, 1963) – The Peter, Paul, and Mary version was a bit more melodious, but it lacked the subtle nastiness of the Dylan original. “You just sorta wasted my precious time”…Now that’s a put-down!

#14. Highway 61 Revisited (Highway 61 Revisited, 1965) – One of the greatest psychedelic songs ever written. No one else could write lyrics as wild as these.

#15. Forever Young (Planet Waves, 1974) – One of Dylan’s simplest but most powerful songs. I resisted the charms of this song for a long time, but eventually had to give in.

#16. Just Like a Woman (Blond on Blond, 1966) - Everyone loves this song…and so do I.

#17. You Angel You (Planet Waves, 1974) – A fluffy, throw-a-way tune on “Planet Waves” that I can never get out of my head for some strange reason.

#18. I Feel a Change Coming On (Together Through Life, 2009) – Another masterpiece from Dylan’s latest album.

#19. The Man in Me (New Morning, 1970) – Ok, this is a seriously stupid tune, but if it’s good enough for the Dude (see the “Big Lebowski”), then it definitely has something going for it. Besides, how can anyone resist all those “la la las”?

#20. One Too Many Mornings (The Times They Are A-Changin’, 1963) – A totally charming song with beautiful lyrics and a wonderful melody.

beaz-bob_dylan-431x300

3 comments:

  1. There are just too many, and my list changes, but some of my favorites:Chimes of Freedom
    Lily,Rosemary, and the Jack of Hearts
    And I love Boots of Spanish Leather, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, a Dylan post!!!

    I’ve only recently "discovered" Dylan’s music over the summer (A kid born in the 90’s can be so deprived, I know), so I haven’t been exposed to much of his work yet. But out of the songs I have heard, my favorites would be Booths of Spanish Leather, Don’t Think Twice It’s Alright, Subterranean Homesick Blues, Like A Rolling Stone, I Want You, Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door, and Forever Young (How could anyone resist, really?). Also, I’m Not There, hence the username ;) Have you seen the movie "I’m Not There"directed by Todd Haynes? I loved how he had a bunch of actors portray the many lives of Dylan (Cate Blanchett’s performance was phenomenal). Like you said, he was always reinventing himself and his music. I think that’s one of the reasons why he is still relevant today. :)

    His prose is beautiful; the images from his songs are like something from a dream. Dylan was a master of what he did. He didn't master anything else, because doing what he does best is enough. The emotions in his songs are so tangible I could live on it alone for weeks on end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have been listening to bob dylan non-stop for the past 8 years, i absolutely love everything he's written. do you have a favorite album?

    ReplyDelete