Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Revelation in the Operating Room

Nurse: Doctor, I’m afraid Sally’s dead.
Doctor: Damn it, I won’t loose her, not now.
Nurse: But doctor, the EKG reading is completely flat. There’s no hope.
Doctor: There’s got to be hope. I won’t give up now. She’s my, my…
Nurse: Your what, doctor?
Doctor: (Crying) She’s my long-lost daughter.
Nurse: But I thought that she was Suzie Schwarz’s sister.
Doctor: (Despondent) She was, damn it. She was.
Nurse: But you dated Suzie at one point, didn’t you?
Doctor: Yes. But what has that got to do with anything?
Nurse: You dated your daughter’s sister?
Doctor: (Confused) I suppose I did. But it’s not like there’s anything wrong with that, right?
Nurse: No, unless Suzie was your daughter too…She wasn’t your daughter, was she?
Doctor: How could she have been my daughter…She was Sally’s mother.
Nurse: Suzie was Sally’s mother as well as her sister? How is that possible?
Doctor: She was only her adopted sister. Suzie was really my younger sister, although we pretended that she was Sally’s sister, because I wanted my daughter to have a playmate her own age.
Nurse: So you lost your daughter as well as your niece. I’m very sorry for you, doctor.
Doctor: It’s impossible for you to image how difficult this is for me. What am I going to tell her mother?
Nurse: By Sally’s mother, who exactly are you referring to: your former girlfriend or your sister?
Doctor: What’s wrong with you nurse. I mean Suzie. She’s experienced so much loss lately. You know her son, Carey, died last year, don’t you? So she’s now lost both her children. Tragic.
Nurse: But wasn’t Carey Sally’s former husband.
Doctor: Exactly. You can image how hard it is going to be on her to have lost a daughter, sister, and step-daughter all on the same day.
Nurse: A triple tragedy for Suzie and a double one for you.
Doctor: It's also a tragedy for you.
Nurse: In what way?
Doctor: What I’ve never told you was that Suzie was your sister as well.
Nurse: So Sally was my…
Doctor: Niece
Nurse: And you are my...
Doctor: Brother
Nurse: But, doctor, why didn’t you inform me of these facts before we started going out?
Doctor: Would it have made a difference?
Nurse: I probably would have liked that bit of information just the same.
Doctor: You can hardly expect me to keep every relationship in this hospital straight all the time. I’m a very busy man. I got confused.
Nurse: I’m sorry for being so difficult at a time like this. Well, on the positive side, I now have a brother.
Doctor: But, sadly, you’ve lost a niece and are going to have a difficult time explaining to your sister why you are sleeping with her former boyfriend.
Nurse: Well perhaps she’ll be happy that her brother has found a nice girl. There’s only one real problem I have.
Doctor: What’s that?
Nurse: A few years ago, before Sally and Carey got married, I had a brief fling with Carey.
Doctor: (Shocked) What! You had intimate relations with Carey. How horrifying!
Nurse: Horrifying because he was my nephew or because he was my niece’s husband?
Doctor: Neither.
Nurse: Then what’s the problem?
Doctor: He’s not Jewish.
Nurse: But you were ok with that when he was married to your niece...I mean daughter.
Doctor: That was different. You were the girl I loved. I thought religion meant something to you. The wedding is off.
Nurse: Do I still get to come to family holidays?
Doctor: (Grasping her hands) Of course. There’s nothing more important than family.

4 comments:

  1. Oh brother...or uncle (scratch head)
    Funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm working as fast as I can. I'm waiting for the pictures and editing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting and humorous, albeit kinda confusing.

    ReplyDelete